Monday, November 9, 2009

The Harder They Come (Jimmy Cliff)

Jimmy Cliff, reggae musician from Jamaica, wrote and originally recorded this classic song in 1972. Notice the "double comparative."



Lyrics
Oh, yeah, well, they tell me of a pie up in the sky
Waiting for me when I die
But between the day you're born and when you die
They never seem to hear even your cry

Refrain
So as sure as the sun will shine
I'm gonna get my share now, what's mine
And then the harder they come
The harder they'll fall
One and all
Ooh, the harder they come
The harder they'll fall
One and all

Well the oppressors are trying to keep me down
Trying to drive me underground
And they think that they have got the battle won
I say, forgive them Lord, they know not what they've done

Refrain

And I keep on fighting for the things I want
Though I know that when you're dead you can't
But I'd rather be a free man in my grave
Than living as a puppet or a slave

Refrain

No comments: