Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Difference Between WILL + V and BE GOING + TO V

Briefly, we use will and be going interchangeably when we make predictions, like "What is the weather going to be like tomorrow?" = "What will the weather be like tomorrow?" There is no difference in meaning when we make predictions.

On the other hand, when we speak of things we plan to do (we have a prior intention to do something, or we have already decided to do something), we do not use will; we use be going. For example, "What is Christopher going to do when he graduates?" asks about Christopher's intention or plan.

Finally, when we decide on the spur of the moment to do something (like helping someone), we use will, but never be going. For example, if the telephone rings and you are closest to it, you may tell others in the room, "I'll get it."

Watch the video by RebeccaESL to review these concepts.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I found 'future' chapter of the grammar book which was made in Korea. I read it and notes that I took at the classes, then I watch this video.
So I understood how to express the future certainly. But I think it is too difficult to use exactly when I speak... I'll try to speak correctly. :D

Nina Liakos said...

I think it's useful to understand the "rules," but what counts the most is observing how native speakers use the language and practicing a lot.

Akame said...

Now I know about how difference between WILL + V and BE GOING + TO V. I'll try to use it correctly.

Unknown said...

I understand how to use WILL + V and BE GOING + TO V. it's the same meaning when we make predictions. But it's a little bit difficult when I speak.. I need to practice more : )

Eric Lin said...

I always think will + v & be going +to v are the equal!! I never know present continue can use in future tense. Now I can figure out.